Dr. Sundar Tiwari
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6946-9814
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sundar_Tiwari
PhD (Entomology) from Lincoln University, New Zealand in 2020
Integrated pest management, Habitat pest management, agro-ecosystem services, conservation biological control, pollination and farmers field school
- Tiwari, S., Saville, D.J., & Wratten, S.D. 2020. Evaluation of potential trap plant species for the wheat bug, Nysius huttoni (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae) in forage brassicas. Agricultural and Forest Entomology. https://doi.org/10.1111/afe.12379.
- Tiwari, S., Sharma, S & Wratten S.D. 2020 Flowering alyssum (Lobularia maritima) promote arthropod diversity and biological control of Myzus persicae. Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2020.05.002.
- Tiwari, S & Wratten, S.D. (2019). Biology and management of the New Zealand endemic wheat bug, Nysius huttoni, (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae). Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 10 (1):34; 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/jipm/pmz032.
- Tiwari, S., Pudasaini, R., Kafle, L., Bhattarai, S.S., Ali, M.P., Baber, T.K., Sharma, S., Shrestha, G., & Reddy, G.V.P. (2019). Trap cropping in South Asia: concept, limitations and future strategy. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 112 (4), 340-347. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/saz003.
- González-Chang, M., Tiwari, S., Sharma, S., & Wratten, S.D. (2019). Habitat management in pest management: limitations and prospects. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 112 (4), 302-317. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/saz020.
- Tiwari, S., Dickinson, N., Saville, D.J., & Wratten, S.D. (2018). Host plant selection by the wheat bug, Nysius huttoni (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae) on a range of potential trap plant species. Journal of Economic Entomology. 111 (2), 586–594. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy017.
- Tiwari, S., Saville, D.J., & Wratten, S.D. (2019). Susceptibility of kale cultivars to the wheat bug, Nysius huttoni (Hemiptera: Lygaeidae) in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research. ISSN: 0028-8233 (Print) 1175-8775 (Online). https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.2018.1562480.
- Tiwari, S., Saville, D. J., & Wratten, S.D. (2019). Preferences of the wheat bug (Nysius huttoni) for particular growth stages of the potential trap plant, alyssum (Lobularia maritima). New Zealand Plant Protection. 72: 237-244.
- Rayl, R.J., Shields, M.W., Tiwari, S., Wratten, S.D. (2018). Conservation biological control of insect pests. In Gaba S., Smith B., Lichtfouse E. (Eds.), Sustainable Agriculture Reviews, Vol. 28. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-90309-5_3.
- Wyckhuys, K. A., González-Chang, M., Adriani, E., Albaytar, A., Albertini, A., Ávila, G., Beltran, M. J., Boreros, A.D., Fanani, M.Z., Nguyen, D.T., Nguyễn, G and Tiwari, S. 2020. Delivering on the promise of biological control in Asia’s food systems: a Humboldtian perspective. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 4, 140. doi: 10.3389/fsufs.2020.00140.
- Dahal, P., Dhimal, M., Belbase, K., Tiwari, S., Groopman, J., West, K., ... & Ghimire, Y. N. 2020. Improving nutrition and immunity with dry chain and integrated pest management food technologies in LMICs. The Lancet. Planetary Health, 4(7), e259. doi: 10.1016/S2542-5196(20)30143-1.
- Gahatraj, S., Tiwari, S., Sharma, S., & Kafle, L. 2020. Fall Armyworm, Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae): A recent threat and future management strategy in Nepal. Agricultural Science & Technology (1313-8820), 12(2).
1. Agro-ecological management of fall armyworm (Spodoptera frugiperda) by understanding their biology and habitat in maize crop and other potential non-crops
2. Study on ecosystem service providers in different agro-ecosystems
3. Study on Himalayan cliff bee (Apis laboriosa) in Lamjung, Kaski and Gorkha district
Awards and Achievements:
- UNDP/FAO - bee taxonomy course in Arizona, USA (2011)
- NUFFIC/Netherland for IPM and food safety course in The Netherland (2012)
- Dialogos/Denmark-safe pesticide spraying training in Denmark (2013)
- NUFFIC Netherland award for the course of safe food production in emerging economies Nairobi, Kenya, 5-16 October 2015
- National Pingtung University Science and Technology (NPUST/Taiwan)- Biological control, Taiwan (2015)
- New Zealand Plant Protection Society Conference (NZPPS) at Tauranga, New Zealand (2017)
- International Organization for Biological and Integrated Control (IOBC), Biocontrol in Changing Asian Landscapes from 31 August to 11 September 2017 in Vietnam
- Bio-Protection Research Centre (BPRC), Biological and Integrated Control Conference Beijing, May 14-16, 2018.
- Participated in IOBC organized international training on conservation biological control and ecosystem services in Lincoln University, New Zealand (2018).
- NZ AID PhD Scholarship from 2016 to 2019 for PhD in Entomology(Agro-ecology) in Lincoln University New Zealand.
- Winner of Post Graduate Conference Award, 2018.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade-New Zealand (MFAT-NZ) - Best PhD Student Award from Lincoln University (2016-2019).
- NUFFIC Netherland Award for course food safety and phyto-sanitary measures in horticultural supply chain, Bangdung, Indonesia, 23 November to 9 December, 2019