During early carrier days in the university (1995-2002), Prof. Devkota was majorly involved on handling Veterinary Pathology course and working in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital as a clinician. In the meantime from 1996 to 1998, he served in the Government Department of Livestock Services as a Veterinary Extension Officer. In the year 2000, a collaborative research with Azabu University, Japan was developed to study the genetic lineage of high altitude Lulu cattle in which he served as the counterpart team leader. After completing PhD in Theriogenology from Obihiro University, Japan in 2007, he focused on research based class-room delivery and carrying out practical research aiming to enhance reproductive efficiency of dairy cows, buffaloes and breeder chicken. In 2007, he introduced ultrasonography technique in Animal Reproduction research, training and extension for the first time in Nepal. He also served from 2010-2013 as an International Visiting Faculty in the Laboratory of Food Animal Medicine, Iwate University, Japan.
The research of Prof. Devkota currently focuses on enhancing livestock productivity through better understanding of environment-nutrition-reproduction interactions, and by applying various ovulation induction protocols to address the infertility issues of livestock species. He has led the projects on applying assisted reproduction technology, developing progesterone impregnated device, developing techniques of improving fertility of buffaloes during low breeding season as well as enhancing overall reproductive efficiency in livestock species, understanding the role of some of the endogenous steroids on reproductive and metabolic behavior, particularly on the effects of estrogen hormone on calcium metabolism pathway, of dairy animals and so on.
Prof. Devkota has authored/co-authored more than 45 research papers in internationally recognized SCI journals, more than 25 in the past 7 years, have more than 60 proceeding/abstract publications and a large number of publications in national journals and bulletin over the years. He was awarded with "Excellent Research Award in Theriogenology" in the year 2006 by Japanese Society of Veterinary Sciences.
For more than a decade, Prof. Devkota has been continuously serving as a reviewer for several SCI Journals. He is actively involved in scientific networking for knowledge sharing and coordinating among the scientists with a leading role on organizing national/international conferences/workshops and presenting several keynotes, country papers and other presentations. His role as an Organizing Secretary of the International Buffalo Symposium in 2017 and a member of the Organizing Secretariat of International Poultry Symposium in 2018 and Asian Regional Conference on Goats in 2019 in Nepal was pivotal. Currently, Prof. Devkota is serving as the President of Asian Buffalo Association elected by the 9th Asian Buffalo Congress held in Hisar, India from February 1 to 4, 2018. Nepal, for the first time, is organizing the 10th Asian Buffalo Congress from October 25-29, 2021, and Prof. Devkota is leading as the Organizing Chair of the Congress.
- Luitel H, Novoyatleva T, Sydykov A, Petrovic A, Mamazhakypov A, Devkota B, Wygrecka M, Ghofrani HA, Avdeev S, Schermuly RT and Kosanovic D. (2020). Yarsagumba is a Promising Therapeutic Option for Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension due to the Potent Anti-Proliferative and Vasorelaxant Properties. Medicina, 56:131; doi:10.3390/medicina56030131
- Sasaki J, Kuroda Y, Ueki A, Devkota B and Yamagishi N. (2020). Intestinal ganglioneuroma in a neonatal Japanese black calf. Acta Veterinaria Hungarica, 68 (1): 49-52. doi: 10.1556/004.2020.00012
- Hatate K, Tsuzuki N, Kajihara A, Devkota B, Takehana K, Sato R, Iino K, Aoki T, Takahashi E and Yamagishi N. (2019). Influence of transfixation pinning and casting (TPC) configurations on treatment outcomes in bovine tibial fracture. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 81, No. 6 pp. 857-862). https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.18-0757.
- Devkota B. (2018). Association of nutritional status to reproductive performance in buffaloes. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 2:1-7.
- Singh S, Dhakal IP, Singh UM and Devkota B. (2018). Current diagnostic techniques of Mycobacterium avium subsp paratuberculosis in domestic ruminants. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 2:23-34.
- Gautam BP, Devkota B, Sapkota RC, Gautam G and Sah S. (2018). Nutritional parameters in relation to reproductive performance in anestrus Chauri (Yak hybrid) cattle around Jiri, Dolakha. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 2:165-169.
- Sapkota RC, Devkota B, Gautam BP, Rijal TB, Aryal GR and Sah S. (2018).reproductive status and infertility in chauries around Jiri, Dolakha. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 2:177-182.
- Subedi M, Bhattarai RK, Devkota B, Phuyal S and Luitel H. (2018). Antibiotic resistance pattern and virulence genes content in avian pathogenic Escherichia coli (APEC) from broiler chickens in Chitwan, Nepal. BMC Veterinary Research, 14: 166.
- Devkota B and Singh AK. (2017). Morphometry of female reproductive organs of the Murrah cross buffaloes in Chitwan, Nepal. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 1:113-117.
- Gautam G, Devkota B and Thapaliya S. (2017). Recent case flow pattern in Veterinary Teaching Hospital of Agriculture and Forestry University, Chitwan, Nepal. Journal of Agriculture and Forestry University, 1:119-128.
- Okatsu Y, Yamagishi N, Hatate K and Devkota B. (2017). Evaluation of a commercial agarose gel electrophoresis kit (QuickGel SP) for bovine serum protein electrophoresis. Polish Journal of Veterinary Sciences, 20:527-54. DOI 10.1515/pjvs-2017-0064
- Mohanta UK, Rana HB, Devkota B and Itagaki T. (2017). Molecular and phylogenetic analyses of the liver amphistome Explanatum explanatum (Creplin, 1847) Fukui, 1929 in ruminants from Bangladesh and Nepal based on nuclear ribosomal ITS2 and mitochondrial nad1 sequences. doi:10.1017/S0022149X16000420. Journal of Helminthology, 91(4):497-503. 2017.
- Hatate K, Shinya K, Mastsuo-Sato A, Sasaki S, Devkota B, Takahashi M, Hirata T, Yamagishi N. (2016). Changes in the plasma levels of several bone markers in newborn calves during the first two days of life. doi: 10.1292/jvms.15-0358; J. Vet. Med. Sci. 78(2): 337–340, 2016.
- Devkota B, Takahashi M, Sato S, Sasaki K, Ueki A, Osawa T and Yamagishi N. (2015). Plasma fluctuation in estradiol-17β and bone resorption markers around parturition in dairy cows. doi: 10.1292/jvms.15-0018; J. Vet. Med. Sci. 77(7): 875–878, 2015.
- Ghanem ME, Tezuka E, Devkota B, Izaike Y, Osawa T (2015). Persistence of uterine bacterial infection, and its associations with endometritis and ovarian function in postpartum dairy cows. J Reprod Dev. 61(1):54-60. doi: 10.1262/jrd.2014-051. Epub 2014 Dec 6.
- Yamagishi N, Devkota B, Takahashi M. (2014). Outpatient Treatment for Humeral Fractures in Five Calves. J Vet Med Sci. 2014 Jul 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Shoriki T, Ichikawa-Seki M, Devkota B, Rana HB, Devkota SP, Humagain SK, Itagaki T. (2014). Molecular phylogenetic identification of Fasciola flukes in Nepal. Parasitol Int. 2014 Jul 12. doi: 10.1016/j.parint.2014.07.001.
- Matsuo A, Togashi, A, Sasaki, K, Devkota, B, Yamagishi, N. (2014). Diurnal variation of plasma bone markers in Japanese Black calves. J. Vet. Med. 76(7):1029-32.
- Sasaki K, Yamagishi, K. Kizaki K, Sasaki K, Devkota B, Hashizume K. (2014). Microarray-based gene expression profiling of peripheral blood mononuclear cells in dairy cows with experimental hypocalcemia and milk fever. J Dairy Sci. 97: 247-58.
- Devkota B, Nakao T, Kobayashi K, Sato H, Sah SK, Singh DK, Dhakal IP, Yamagishi N. (2013). Effects of treatment for anestrus in water buffaloes with PGF2 and GnRH in comparison with vitamin-mineral supplement, and some factors influencing treatment effects. J. Vet. Med. Sci., 75: 1623-27.
- Adhikari BB, Rana HB, Ibrahim Sultan KM, Devkota B, Nakao T, Kobayashi K, Sato H, Dhakal IP. (2013). Prevalence of Buxtonella sulcata from water buffaloes and cows in Chitwan valley of southern Nepal. Jpn. J. Vet. Parasitol 11: 55-60.
- Devkota, B., Takahashi, M., Sasaki, K., Osawa, T., Izaike, Y., Yamagishi, N. (2013). Fluctuation in plasma bone metabolic markers in multiparous and primiparous Holstein cows during early to peak lactation. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 75: 1257-60.
- Makouloutou P, Rana HB, Adhikari B, Devkota B, Dhakal IP, Sato H. (2013). A distinct genetic population of Gongylonema pulchrum from water buffaloes in Nepal. J Parasitol. 99: 669-76.
- Sasaki, K., Sasaki, K., Sato, Y., Devkota, B., Furuhama, K., Yamagishi, N. (2013). Response of Holstein cows with milk fever to first treatment using two calcium regimens: a retrospective study. J. Vet. Med. Sci., 75: 373-376.
- Ghanem, M. E., Higuchi, H., Tezuka, E., Ito, H., Devkota, B., Izaike, Y., Osawa, T. (2013). Mycoplasma infection in the uterus of early postpartum dairy cows and its relation to dystocia and endometritis. Theriogenology; 79: 180-185.